Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Let's Go Shopping

Dry-erase markers.
Post-It Notes.
Pencils.
Pencil sharpener.
Books about science.
Books about social studies.
Books about people.
Books for fun.
Educational games.
Folders.
Sharpies.
Crayons. 
Glue.
Scissors.
Colored pencils.
Plastic tubs.
Labels.
Pens.
Index cards.
Envelopes.
Stapler.
Staples.
Staple remover.
Push pins.

And the list goes on.

I'm starting to think about items I'll need as a teacher. I won't have my own classroom for more than a year, but I'm thinking about purchasing some of these items one at a time whenever I go to Wal-Mart. Or pick some up this summer when back-to-school sales start and store them.

The above items are common and suitable for every classroom. But what about specialized items that will enable me to teach creatively...only, I don't know what I need? 

Items for science experiments, math games, social studies activities, language arts (I do know I want to buy those magnetic word tiles for assembling poetry on a metal surface). I know I can do great science activities with everyday household items...but which ones?

And children's books...there's no shortage of them out there, but how do I know which books to start buying, when I don't know what grade level I'll teach? 

So many questions, so many ideas, so many supplies waiting to be bought...and of course there's the question of spending my own money. But I guess that comes with the territory. I need to strike up some conversations with teachers who can provide me with great shopping lists.

2 comments:

  1. I have the same desire to start stocking up and books and supplies for my one day classroom! I have a rule for myself, that I will not go out of my way to buy/obtain classroom items until I start my internship. I think if I bought everything I saw now that I thought I would one day use in a classroom I would be buried alive by all of it! I also found it interesting that the teacher in the article spent more money on candy than she did on books?! Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a lot of rewarding with candy that I've seen in the classroom. Not a fan.

    ReplyDelete